Re: simple dpkg & compile from source question

craigw@lvcm.com writes:
> On Fri Apr 26, 2002 at 05:00:45PM -0700, Osamu Aoki wrote:
>> On Fri, Apr 26, 2002 at 12:14:00PM -0700, justin cunningham wrote:
>> > Hi, I have to compile a program from source since the install
>> > script for the deb package is installing in the wrong directory.
>> > no biggie BUT I've always used deb packages and haven't mix n
>> > matched before.  Will I have a problem with dpkg at some latter
>> > point?  Please advise if applicable.  Thanks, jusitn
>>

> I don't think you need to build your own to accomplish this.
>
> dpkg -i -R /usr/local package.deb
>
> should install 'package' in /usr/local

Nope; that installs package.deb, plus any package files located
anywhere under /usr/local.  Maybe you're confusing dpkg with some
other package management software whose name will remain unspoken on
this august mailing list.

(And really, it's a hard problem: I run 'foo', which wants to read
from /etc/foo.conf.  How do you deal if the package is installed
under, say, /home/dmaze instead?  Is there any way for the program to
know to read /home/dmaze/etc/foo.conf without patching the binary (eew
eew eew)?  Do you get to have multiple versions of the same package
installed in multiple places?  It's probably cleaner to not attempt
relocatable packages, and have admins/users build things from source
and use stow or encap for management of $HOME or /usr/local...)

	-- Abra Mitchell