[OT] Asus A7M266 motherboard and Debian

Dear People,

Sorry, another off-topic hardware message, but hopefully the last one.

I recently ordered an all SCSI system from a hardware vendor.
Unfortunately (in retrospect) I chose the Abit KG7 (non-raid). When it
arrived I had persistent and mysterious problems booting from the SCSI
CD-ROM. It turned out this was a known problem (something to do with the
BIOS), and Abit suggest on their web site that you try booting from a IDE
CDROM! This strikes me as very strange behaviour on their part, to say the
least.

Anyway, I returned it to my vendor and I am now looking for another
motherboard. I thought it best to be conservative and go with a
motherboard based on the AMD 761 chipset, like the Abit KG7, since these
generally seem to be most stable and trouble-free under Linux, even it
they are now a little old. Since I have heard generally good things about
Asus, I'm now thinking about the Asus A7M266. Based on searching with
Google, it seems there are a fair number of people out there using it, and
no serious outstanding issues. There do seem to be video (AAGP?) problems
with some video cards, but I'm hoping that with my Matrox G450 I will be
Ok.

Does anyone have any comments on this? If you use this motherboard on
Debian without problems, particularly with a recent 2.4 kernel, I'd like
to hear about it. I plan to put Woody on it with 2.4.17. Complete
configuration follows.

(On a side note, I am a little confused about this chipset issue. Some
reviews refer to this board having the AMD 760 chipset on the northbridge,
and there are also references to a VIA chipset on the southbridge. I've no
idea what this terminology means.)

Thanks in advance. A copy to faheem@email.unc.edu of any reply would
be much appreciated.

                                          Sincerely, Faheem Mitha.

Lian-Li PC60-USB with
Antec PP412X 400w power supply
Asus A7M266 Mainboard
AMD Athlon XP 1700+ (1.47 GHz)
(2) Corsair 512 MB PC2100 DDR SDRAM
Mitsumi 1.44 MB Floppy Disk Drive
PlexWriter 12/10/32S internal SCSI CDRW
(2) Seagate 18 GB, U160 SCSI, 10K RPM Hard Drive
Matrox G450 32 MB AGP Dual Head DDR
SoundBlaster Live Value 5.1
USR External Data/Fax Modem
Adaptec 29160 SCSI Card with Cable
3COM 10/100 PCI Network Card
Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer Optical Cordless
Logitech Cordless Keyboard
Cambridge SoundWorks 3 Piece Speaker Set