Q: Relation exim, sylpheed, and other email things

I currently use exim, fetchmail, and mutt, and have an exim .forward
file to sort my mail into different mbox format files.

As I've looked at other email clients, the handling of incoming mail
has seemed problematic.  Sylpheed, for example, uses mh format
mailboxes, and apparently exim can't deliver to such boxes (unless mh
is another name for one of the formats it does).

Other clients use their own db format (e.g., pronto and I think
evolution).

Do I just need to turn fetchmail off with such clients, and forget
about using the rules in the .forward file?  Or is there some other
way?

And even if I turn fetchmail off, I still have local mail on my system
that I need to get.  Not sure how to handle that.

Putting this slightly differently, are there two models of mail
clients: a unixy way, in which other agents retrieve and send mail;
and a windowsy way, in which the client integrates all these
functions?  And if I pick a client with a windows model, does that
mean I should ditch using a mail transport agent such as exim, and
associated tools (maybe procmail too, though I currently use exim for
that kind of functionality)?

By the way, the final stage of mail delivery is already through a
process for me (I wrote a script to catch duplicate mails and throw
them out, since I kept getting my mail downloaded repeatedly).  So it
would be easy to change what the process does.

P.S. I think I read that procmail can deliver to mh format, so it
might solve that particular problem.  But I'm not too keen on
introducing another component, much less converting my exim filter
rules to procmail format.