Re: Machine not freeing Cached Memory?

On Fri, Apr 26, 2002 at 12:09:35PM +0100, Mark Janssen wrote:

> The Linux VM prefers to swap stuff out, instead of clearing the cache.
> Lot's of stuff can safely be swapped out,

Agreed, sleeping processes and such like. That's why the idle state of 140MB
swapped out doesn't bother me.

> and using some (in this case 800M) of cache can speed things up more then
> swapping out useless data slow's it down.

The trouble is that, in this case, the system is thrashing swap and slowing
down to a crawl. I would have thought that not thrashing swap would speed
things up more than keeping a file cache. It's doing work which is completly
internal (no disk IO until it's finished calculations), but needs lots of
memory.

> So don't worry... it's normal behaviour... (the 40 MB that was swapped
> was probably unaccessed for some long time... If it would be accessed
> often the kernel would have reduced the cache.)

It might be normal, but it's crucifying performance in this case.

Cheers

Paul
--
Paul Sargent