Re: Handling lots of mail

On 25-Apr-2002 Ross Boylan wrote:
> I am currently using mutt, but many of my folders are getting very
> big, and I'm getting annoyed by the length of time it takes to switch
> between them.
>
> Other than cleaning up, are there other approaches that people can
> suggest for handling this?  I think I want my mail kept in a database.
>
> I see gmail does this, but development on it has stopped, with the
> author mentioning evolution as a good alternative.
>
> I also note that kmail is popular, but as far as I can tell it would
> suffer the same speed problems as mutt.
>
> I'd appreciate any comments.

a good solution is to not use mbox style mail folders.  When KDE 3 hits Debian
kmail will be able to use mh, maildir, etc.  Theoretically kmail could even use
a dbase for storage.

I am on most of the Debian lists and several others and my mail works fine, but
I use MH style mail folders instead of mbox.