Re: sendmail half-works (more data)

On Thu, 25 Apr 2002, dman wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 25, 2002 at 12:41:39PM -0400, Shawn McMahon wrote:
> | begin  dman quotation:
> | >
> | > Is sendmail supposed to be suid or something?
> |
> | Bingo.

Bzzt. wrong for sendmail >= 8.12.0 !

> Ok, so should /usr/sbin/sendmail be suid root?  (I'm not sure because
> sendmail is much more complex than exim is and has many more pieces)
>
> If so, why wasn't it that way already?  Does the package come with it
> suid and linuxconf screwed it up, or is the package broken?
> (version 8.12.3-4)

Sendmail should most definitely *NOT* be suid... its sgid for a reason!

It sounds like linuxconf has severely fscked your setup !

Unfortunately, I know nothing about what linuxconf does, and the
standard answer on c.m.s is to not touch linuxconf as it *will*
screw things up.

If I were you, I'd:
	1) dpkg --purge --force-depends sendmail
	2) apt-get install sendmail
	3) Keep linuxconf from touching sendmail
--
Rick Nelson
"... being a Linux user is sort of like living in a house inhabited