kernel patches

I am reading up about Debian prior to installing 3.0 when it comes out.
(I'm moving over from Mandrake).
I'd be grateful if someone could point me to a document that explains the
nature of the kernel that is installed in the first instance and which
patches have been applied.  I'd like to work out in advance what the
kernel differences with Mandrake are likely to be, and find out whether I
shall have to recompile immediately, and which patches I'll need to apply
(e.g. will it already have supermount?).

Thanks,
- Richard.
--
Richard Kimber