Re: Support for wireless PCMCIA

On Wed, Apr 24, 2002 at 03:50:19PM -0400, David Roundy wrote:

> > I've got a Linksys PCW11 card that works fine under RH7.2 using
> > the wlan-ng package (prism2_cs.o).
> >
> > Unfortunately, the card isn't recognized correctly on a machine
> > running a recent install of Woody.  Cardmgr loads wvlan_cs.o,
> > which doesn't recognize the card.  (There appears to be no
> > prism2 driver.)
>
> prism2 cards are supported by the orinoco_cs driver. You just
> need a line something like this:
>
> card "PROXIM  RangeLAN-DS/LAN PC Card"
>   manfid 0x0126, 0x8000
>   bind "orinoco_cs"
>
> in your /etc/pcmcia/config or /etc/pcmcia/config-2.4 file.  Mine's in
> config-2.4, since I'm using the drivers that are in the 2.4 kernel.

I did get it to work with the orinoco_cs driver that comes with
the pcmcia-modules for the 2.4 kernel.  It doesn't work with
the 2.2.20 modules.

One quirk was that I had to define a start_fn() in network.opts
that did a iwpriv card_reset.  Otherwise the card would only
find the AP the first time it was inserted.

--
Grant Edwards
grante@visi.com