Re: Q's on backup to CD-R

On Tue, Apr 23, 2002 at 05:43:31PM -0700, Ross Boylan wrote:
> I'm trying to do a fairly comprehensive system backup to CD-R.  The
> amount I have to backup is much larger than the free space on the
> system, which in turn is larger than a CD-R.
>
> This means I'm interested in compression and streaming solutions.
>
> I just tried afio -o -Z piped to cdbackup, but this gave me an error
> after a bit.  I assume this was because cdbackup ran out of things to
> write while afio was busy compressing (see error below).
>
> I see afio's examples sketch out using blocking and cdrecord directly,
> but I have a feeling I may run into the same issue.
>
> Is there a way around this, for example setting up some kind of
> buffered pipe so I don't run out of input?
>
> I was tarring up little chuncks and writing them to CD, but my chunks
> got too big and this got tedious.

Sounds like the same thing I'm playing with. Buffering is essential
here, as compression does slow things down a bit.

Things to look into:

- apt-cache show buffer

- apt-cache show bfr

- If you find a buffer/bfr-style program that uses *disk* buffers,
  please let me know!

- Write cd's at a slower speed. I run my backups overnight, so
  single-speed is quite adequate; I can't change the CD until the
  morning anyway.

- Look into the -T option on afio. Not compressing small files saves a
  lot of invocations of gzip, and doesn't affect the size of the backup
  significantly.

- Look into the -E option on afio. You don't want it to compress your
  *.mp3's or *.ogg's.

- If you have large files around that change very rarely or don't need
  to be backed up (e.g. CD images, disk images etc) study the -2 option
  on afio.

> Also, though I've always used tar, I understand it's a very fragile
> backup scheme and that afio (or maybe cpio--couldn't quite tell) is
> safer for archiving.  Any comments?

I chose afio because it will *not* go recursive, whereas tar will.
Besides, it gives me better control over compression.

> Final question, about what to back up.  Karsten Self's nice page
> (first reference) says some parts of /var are good to backup.  Which
> ones?  Also, I have a nagging feeling that some of /lib or /usr/lib
> has some customizations (vague memories of editing or adding files
> there, maybe for browser add-ons...).

If in doubt, back it up. You can't have too many backups.

I'm working on a more selective scheme; results in the next few weeks.

HTH
--
Karl E. Jørgensen
karl@jorgensen.com