missing parallel port

I can't print on the local printer.  I'd guess it is missing a module. Not
I/O address shows up in /proc/ioports.

There's a parport module that installs, but I think that module enables
the parallel port for other things like scanners, plip, etc.  Installing
it doesn't show a user for it with lsmod.

There is another module parport_pc, but I got warnings about using it.

lrpngtool tells me that probing /dev/lp0 + doesn't find a printer.

Yes, I know the port and printer work fine.  Old DOS boot floppies are
good for a few things yet.

--
Sincerely,

David Smead