Re: Python (overiding depends)

G'Day,

On Tue, 23 Apr 2002, Bob Thibodeau wrote:
> > On Tue, 2002-04-23 at 12:50, James Hook wrote:
> > > Im having dependacy problems, I want to install a package whicj requires
> > > Python2.1, but when I install Python2.1 a whole bunch of packages require
> > > python-base which Python2.1 required me to remove due to conflict.
> > > Shouldnt python2.1 provide python-base?
> > >
> > > Is it possible to overide the apt package lists with my own, so I can say
> > > Python2.1 provices python-base?
> >
> > If you're using Woody or Sid, you shouldn't have this problem.
>
> Sorry, but the following packages have unmet dependencies:
>   pyrite: Depends: python-base (>= 1.5.2-4) but it is not going to be installed
>   sulfur: Depends: python-base (>= 1.5.2) but it is not going to be installed
> E: Sorry, broken packages
> I agree, we shouldn't have this problem. However, it seems we do.

The big question I wanted an answer too was How can you override a package
lists entries, as at the moment I cant install anything without removing
some packages and installing others (because I forced an install)

I could go and edit the package list files and add/remove what I want, but
as my package lists are updated daily, this would cause far too many
problems.

Would also let me only have to upgrade libc6 and locales every 3 or 4
updates, not EVERY update which gets to me (seeing as theres about 5-9 mb
to download each time)

Anyone have any ideas?
--
                  \\\