RE: /dev/loop: how many is the limit? Which kernel parameter to alter?

Hello!

> Instead of mirroring the bulky DEBIAN pool, I have a plan to do
> the same thing for the woody images. Unfortunately, there are only
> eight /dev/loop devices.
>
> Questions:
>

> - Is there any way to add more loop devices?
> - If yes, may I know which kernel parameter to alter?

Yes, there is a way to add more than 8 devices. Just edit the file below
the kernel root:/drivers/block/loop.c

There is a line
	static int max_loop = 8

Edit the value at the end.

After recompiling the kernel, you can add devices via:

man mknod
less /usr/src/linux/Documentation/devices.txt

> - Also, may I know how much the limit is?

I dont´know the limit, sorry.

HTH
	Jens