Re: netscape bus error

On Mon, Apr 22, 2002 at 12:29:47PM +0930, Tom Cook wrote:
> On  0, John Habermann <j_habermann@tpg.com.au> wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > Do support for a community group that recycles computers installs debian and
> > gives them to low income people. One of the recipients is issues with
> > Netscape. Netscape (4.77-2) doesn't open at all and when netscape is entered
> > into an xterm he receives only a line saying "Bus error".
> > Anyone have any ideas, I haven't come across this before. He is one of our
> > early recipients and has just bought a new computer 1.4 ghz athlon 256 ddr
> > memory and has got debian unstable with kde as the desktop environment, bit
> > different to potato with gnome as our desktop which is what he started with.
>
> Different netscape versions throughout the ages have done that fairly
> reliably.  Netscape 4.79 currently works well for me on a woody
> system, but who knows how the innards of netscape think?

"Bus error" can be caused by a corrupt file in your .netscape
directory. Try moving "~/.netscape" to "~/.netscape.old" and then run
netscape. If that fixes the error, you can then move bookmarks, abook,
and maybe lipref.js over to the new .netscape to recover bookmarks,
address book, and users preferences.

--
Jerome