Gabber won't go into Gnome status dock

I'm running Gabber 0.8.7 on Debian Woody with a straight GNOME desktop
(Sawfish WM).  The default Debian layout includes a little status dock
on the top toolbar.  As I understand it, this status dock is supposed to
take the status icons from programs such as Gabber.

Looking in the Gabber preferences, it even has a checkbox for turning on
the "docklet," and that checkbox's rollover text says "Right-click the
panel and Add To Panel -> Status dock."

However, when I turn the little docklet on, it shows up in the top left
corner of my desktop, outside of the toolbar, and the status dock
remains empty.

Is this a configuration problem on my end?  Or does this happen to
others as well?  If it's a bug, what's the best thing to do?  Report it
in Debian's bug system, or over in Gabber's?

Thanks for any guidance.
--Josh