Re: Woody: "xhost +" on Local Machine not Working

on Mon, Apr 22, 2002, Shawn McMahon (smcmahon@eiv.com) wrote:
> begin  Karsten M. Self quotation:
> > >
> > > Unless the other machine is not administrated by you,
> >
> > There are few X11-capable systems whic won't allow users to run
> > arbitrary clients.  Including an ssh client run from floppy or a
> > user-installed directory.
>
> Karsten, have you ever worked somewhere large enough that you didn't
> control the policies for every machine you were required to use?

Get the policy changed.

Or -- see my last alternative -- have the policy maker assume full
responsibility for system exploits which may be traced to insecure
alternatives.  Any alternative means you're being asked to compromise
security of your systems *and* are likely taking responsibility for the
consequences.  This is called accountability without responsibility.  As
a professional, it's a proposition I won't accept.  Yes, I'd be willing
to walk on that count.

I've never worked at a site in which I was responsible for system
security in which SSH wasn't available and installed on all available
systems.  I'm aware that many companies have sorely lacking security
procedures.  I've worked (not in a systems admin role) inside several --
names you'd recognize, probably carry them in your wallet -- and have
raised the issues there.

> I have.  There are MANY X11-capable systems who's administrators will
> not allow users to run arbitrary clients, install arbitrary software,
> or access the floppy drives.
>
> Hell, I'm not driving to Memphis or flying to Singapore to put a
> floppy in a drive every time I need to use somebody else's server to
> get my job done.

Funny.  I travelled the world last year and carried a bootable GNU/Linux
system for just such occasions.  Highly recommend the LNX-BBC
(http://www.lnx-bbc.org/).  Was on-site at a client's site last week,
brought a floppy with PuTTY, and used it.

> > If you need to find a client for your platform, see a comprehensive list
> > at:
> >
> >     http://www.linuxmafia.com/pub/linux/security/ssh-clients
>
> I've got a client for the platforms in question.  It's not worth
> getting fired to install it.

There is a serious problem at your site.  You've raised this issue?

> > X11 forwarding effects server only.  For the client, this is
> > command-line configurable.
>
> And the server's config can prevent it.

I'll presume one end or the other is under your control.

> > There's simply no excuse _not_ to use SSH over any network more
> > complex than PLIP.
>
> Which doesn't prevent other people from making bad decisions.  I am
> not the president of the company.  I am responsible for security and
> software and policy decisions on a few hundred servers, and even there
> I am not the ultimate authority; management is.

Ah...the penny drops.

You're not responsible for security.  You're the fall guy if someone
else's broken policy compromises your systems.  Accountability without
responsibility.

Peace.

   zIWETHEY: Rattlestar Techlectica:  http://z.iwethey.org/forums/