Mozilla slow response time

Hi,

Since a while Mozilla has become very sluggish in openeing
pages. When I click on something it ususally takes several
seconds to start loading the page at all.
It usually says 'Resoving whatever.com' or 'Connecting'
It can sometimes do this for 5 to 10 seconds.
Then suddenly it starts loading the page and from there it goes
quite quickly.

Now first I suspected the DNS servers of my ISP and pinging them
still often shows some packet loss, so I havn't ruled it out
completely, but I've tried dig to query the servers directly,
and that seemed instantenious...

Any ideas on how to troubleshoot this?

Many thanks for your help in advance!
best regards,