howto reset dselect to currently installed packages ?

Hi,
I dont know how I did it, but I now have 730 packages selected for install,
short of going through one by one and de-selecting them, does anyone know how
to do this another easier way?
I did manage to find one post in the archives which was similiar though not
the same problem.  He suggested greping the file: /var/lib/dpkg/status then
piping through sed,  doing a sort of find / replace . I couldnt get it to
work though so If theres anyone who can help me I will be very grateful.
TIA.
--
Regards

Wayne