apt-cache

Does anyone know how to clear the cache for apt. I dont mean /var/cache/apt
I mean when I start to install some packages using dselect after making a
mistake in the sources.list, it reads it into the cache but cant install.
I've manualy gone in and unselected the packages put if I say install after
that this what i'm returned:
Reading Package Lists...
Building Dependency Tree...
59 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 0B/24.7MB of archives. After unpacking 73.4MB will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n]
Err file - a rake of package names it cant install despite saying it has
nothing to install

I cant clear this cache, I dont even know where it is getting it from. I've
even tried a REBOOT! any help appreciated