Re: my isp is being told *i* am broadcasting spam?

On Sunday 21 April 2002 12:05 am, Noah Meyerhans wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 21, 2002 at 02:51:51AM -0400, Shawn McMahon wrote:
> > That probably works on a small network.  Try it with several thousand
> > servers and 200,000 users, not counting internet customers.  Or try it
> > with an ISP, where you can't control the configuration on ANY of the
> > users' computers.
>
> You would firewall an ISP's network???  I would switch providers
> immediately if my ISP ever did such a thing.  (note that I have no
> problem with them filtering specific ports for a limited time if they're
> causing specific damage.)
>
> As I've said previously today, I am responsible for the security of a
> high-profile network (i.e. constantly being scanned and/or actively
> attacked) with hundreds of users and *no firewall*.  Security issues are
> few and far between, and not a single box under my direct control has
> ever been cracked.  Users are welcome to put whatever they want on the
> network, but they're dealt with quickly if they present a security
> problem.
>
> noah

noah, let it go. you're right--if that's what you've been wating to hear. the
other guy--and i'm saying this for his benefit even more than yours--is
placing way too much faith in an idea that's all too close to the catholic's
belief in the rhythm method.

shawn, the only way out of the argument is to set up a challenge, and that
setup would, for integrity, have to be verifiable by a trusted third party.
in any case, the proof would require more resources than this list should be
called on to provide. however, if you do get it together, please let us all
in on the deal.

ben