oddities regarding sourcing .bashrc when logging in via ssh

Dear people,

I just noticed oddities when logging in just now from my home debian
machine (via dialup) via ssh to a debian machine I administer.

In my .bashrc I have a line to enable the less preprocessor to do its
thing.

export LESSOPEN="|/usr/bin/lesspipe %s"

So, for example reading a tar.gz file gives me a list of all files
contained in the archive etc. There are also lines, not added by me, which
colour files according to certain rules.

Now, when I log in via ssh to a remote machine, the files are not
coloured, and trying to read a tar.gz file gives binaary gibberish. If I
explicitly source my .bashrc file by doing ". .bashrc", however, hey
presto all files are now coloured, and less ...tar.gz gives me a list of
files.

This doesn't appear to be as simple a case as the .bashrc file simply not
being sourced. Some of the variables I exported, for example EMAIL, are
sourced correctly. Ie. echo $EMAIL correctly gives me
faheem@email.unc,edu. Echo $LESSOPEN gives me a blank, but gives me the
correct value once I do ". .bashrc".

The colouring thing is even more puzzling, since I didn't have anything to
do with that,

I've no idea how long the above has been true. I don't use ssh very much,
but I tbink I would at least have noticed before if the less preprocessor
was not working. Of course, this could just be some peculiarity of my home
machine, whose home directory was orginally part of a SuSE installation..

Anyway, can someone tell me what is going on here? Thanks in advance.

                                      Sincerely, Faheem Mitha.