Re: newby --flaky mouse question

    "William" == William Binkley <cbinkle1@tampabay.rr.com> writes:

    William> I'm a debian newbie, with a seriously jumpy mouse
    William> pointer. I installed the isolinux woody mini-CD then used
    William> dselect and apt-get to finish installing X and gnome and
    William> enlightenment. There was plenty of opportunity for
    William> misconfiguration...

    William> Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated...  --Bill

As root, run '/etc/init.d/gpm stop' and see if stopping gpm fixes the
problem. My guess is it will.

If gpm is the source of your problems, you have two options.

First, you can choose to disable gpm completely. This is best
accomplished by removing the gpm package entirely ("apt-get remove
gpm") or by disabling it's startup by removing the links in
/etc/rcX.d/ using the command "update-rc.d -f gpm remove" after you
have stopped.

Second, and this I recommend, is you actually do run gpm and have it
send mouse events on to /dev/gpmdata and have XF86Config-4 use
/dev/gpmdata as the mouse device. You can do this using
'dpkg-reconfigure gpm' followed by 'dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86'

Basically, you want the following lines in the gpm.conf file:

device=/dev/psaux
responsiveness=
repeat_type=raw
type=imps2
append=""
sample_rate=

and in XF86Config-4 use the following input section

Section "InputDevice"
	Identifier	"Configured Mouse"
	Driver		"mouse"
	Option		"CorePointer"