Suspending laptop screws up servers

I usually run my old Dell laptop all-day, and then suspend it during
nights. Unfortunately, the last couple of months, this gives me some
side-effects:

1. The general "volume" of the sound goes down to zero, shutting off
   sound, after I wake the computer up, although this is not the way it's
   specified in my aumixrc.

2. All the cron-stuff (like the scripts in cron.daily and cron.weekly)
   never get run after the first time. It seems like the system never
   conclude it's been a day (or a week, etc) since last time it last run.
   So the scripts run the first time I start up the computer, but never
   after it's been suspended.

These two things used to work, which is why I'm a bit confused. Does
anybody have an idea where I should start looking? I don't know much about
what is affected by the APM functions.

TIA,

Jesper