Re: How to play Audio CDs via XMMS?

CaT wrote:

On Sat, Apr 20, 2002 at 08:23:10AM -0500, Kent West wrote:

I've got the CD Audio Player 1.2.5 plugin enabled in xmms, but I don't find anyway to access the audio CD. If I try mounting it from an Eterm, the mount fails (presumably because mount expects a data CD rather than an audio CD).

So how do I play an audio CD in xmms?

Bring up the prefs.

make sure the audio i/o plugins is selected

select cd audio player and click configure

make sure the device tab is selected

in the device field put in the path to the cdrom device driver. for me
this is /dev/cdrom as I have a symlink to /dev/hdc for it.

in the directory field put in the directory through which you'd like to
access the cd. I chose /cdrom.

hit ok

hit ok in the prefs window (I'm pretty sure you don't need to hit apply
first)

bring up the load file requestor and go to the path you put in the
directory field above. in my case this is /cdrom

if all goes well you'll find a tracklisting here. select away as if they
were normal files.

hope this helps. :)

I appreciate the response. Now I know it's *supposed* to work the way I've got it configured. So I tried it as root, and it works. Do I need to add my normal user to the "disk" group?

Kent