Re: Problem installing SMC 8013wc NIC

Hi,

Can anyone tell me if there's another way to get a network card module to
install.  I sent the following post Thursday, but got no response, and
I'm stuck.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I am trying to install Debian potato on an Compaq Prolinea 4/50 with an
SMC network card (ISA), and am having a problem.  When I go to "Configure
the device driver modules" and then to the "net  --  Drivers for network
interface card..." step, it won't install the modules for the network
card.

Here's some info from the SMC card:
     the back of the card says, "8013wc"
     the FCC # is JI58013wc
     the chipset number is 83c690LJP f9411
     When I run Slackware's Net.i utility it reports:
          Eth0:  WD80x3 at 0x300   00 00 c0 f1 00 8e
          WD 8013  IRQ 10   shared memory at 0xd0000 - 0xd3fff

So, I'm presuming this is SMC's 8013 series card.

The modules that I have tried to install are "wd" and "smc-ultra"
(actually, I've tried all the SMC modules and a few others).  Also, I
have tried to add various combinations of command line arguments for io,
irq, mem & mem_end, based on the above info reported by Net.i, but I
still get the "Installation failed" message.  I've checked out SMC web
site driver page, but can only find a text file (of code) for the Linux
driver.  Maybe I'm supposed to compile this into a driver file or
something -- I have no idea.

I may have access to a number of these similarly configured Compaq
systems, and would like to try them on a Debian network of inexpensive
computers, so I am hoping to find a fix using the SMC card.  Any help
would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Randy