Re: Linux Server > PDC

hi ya curtis

-- disruption of productivity should be the first and foremost
   or you'd have an angry crew and/or angry managers ??

-- work out with the mangers what will be changed and anticipated time

-- it is impossible to move 50 or 100 people all in one day...
	( we will ignore what "move" means for now )

-- first setup user ID and group ID for each user on the samba box
	- a 5 min job or day job.. depending on network policy
	and topology etc..etc..

	- get a few tolerant/understanding windoze users to help debug the
	new samba server ... before moving the less tolerant complainers

-- setup home dir for each user on the samba box
	so that users can write data if needed to their linux-based home
	dir instead of writing data on their local PC

-- problem with doing one samba server ... if it dies... everybody might
   as well go home...  or have a backup system/server up and running
   simultanteously...
	- if you have 2 samba servers... you have a mirroring and syncing
	problem...

	- 1/2 on sambaA.... and 1/2 on sambaB servers
	and mirror data to ther other box nightly???

	- convince the mangers that losing 4-8hrs of data of 1/2 of
	the users is better than losing all user data cause one server
	died

	- if none of the data cannot be lost at all...
		- how often is current setup backed up???
		- pull the disk out of any random pc right now to make the
		  point of simulating a random crash at any time

- make 100% sure you can backup data of all users...
	before letting them all put real data on a "untested
	machine/network"

-- more precautions and step-by-step process should be written down
   and approved.... first...
	- remove all "adminstrator passwds"
	-
	- plead ignorance to user passwd and screen passwds ???
		- user has to be there to fix it ??

-- test that the NTs can print to a printer connected to the
  linux-based samba server since that can be messy or trivial...
	- even more fun if its not a postscript printer

-- now you are ready for moving profiles, workgroups...
	( your original issues/questions ...

-- a samba box will NEVER replace a home dir of NT users since
   NTFS is not guaranteed to support NT files...
	- though i havent had any problems... yet...
	(since when NT writes to linux-based home dirs... its always ext2)

-- lots of fun stuff in a simple "moving windows users" to linux land

-- when its all done...
	- any user can sit on any PC and everything will look the same...
	( ie.. dont matter if one pc dies... )

c ya
alvin