GNOME font wierdness

I helped a friend install Debian today. My friend is new to Linux so I
decided to install KDE and GNOME, plus a few window managers, and showed
him how to use KDM to switch between them.

To make a long story short, GNOME does not function properly. I'm a KDE
user myself, and haven't tried GNOME in over a year before today, and
thus do not know how to set it up properly. He's running Woody, XFree86
4, and 2.4.18 kernel.

The problem? GNOME starts just fine, but anywhere there is supposed to
be a text, it shows funny boxes. KDE and WindowMaker work fine. I have
both 75dpi and 100dpi fonts installed, as well as the msttfcorefonts
package. I can't mess with the configuration dialog, because I get no
text there as well. The text for the window title-bars works (using
Sawfish). GNOME apps, such as the GIMP, also exhibit this behavior when
running under non-GNOME environments.

What did I do wrong? Did I leave out a package?

--Aaron