Re: Swapfiles

I used to do tech support for Microport System V/AT. It was Unix System V ported to 80286 IBM AT's.

When I started work there, Microport had swapping. A program would be read into memory in its entirety, or it would be disk resident. It wasn't paged. A program's memory was swapped out to disk or swapped into RAM as a single chunk.

Later, they did a major upgrade to the OS to implement demand paging. This was a pretty major upgrade, it made the system a lot faster. It also meant that you could run more programs simultaneously, as only the data and code that was currently in use needed to be resident. Also you could run programs larger than the physical RAM.

But I don't remember clearly if they were able to do paging on 286 systems. They were working to support the 386 while I was working there, maybe they only had paging on 386, I don't know. I do seem to recall the paging was gotten to work on 286,

This was late '86 or early '87 or so.

Microport was out of business for a while (it couldn't compete with SCO) but eventually was resurrected. It doesn't have it's own Unix port anymore though, last time I spoke to them they were selling Unixware. I'm not sure what they're doing now. http://www.mport.com/ - a cybersquatter has microport.com!

Mike
crawford@goingware.com
http://www.goingware.com/