Re: Mouse problem

David Smead wrote:

Jamin,

Thanks for the response.  Here's what /etc/X11/XF86Config says about the
mouse.

Section "Pointer"
  Protocol        "Microsoft"
  Device          "/dev/mouse"
  BaudRate        1200
  Emulate3Timeout 50
  Resolution      100
  Buttons         3
  Emulate3Buttons
EndSection

Apparently potato doesn't default install to XF86Config-4.  I figured it
was best to start with stable before moving to Woody, but maybe stable has
been orphaned.

No, Potato uses X version 3, whereas Woody/Sid have the newer X ver 4.x. (I personally live in Sid-land; not running a mission-critical server, Sid has been more than stable enough for my workstation needs.)

/dev/mouse is a symlink. Make sure it exists and points to the actual mouse device, or change the reference in XF86Config to point to the actual mouse device.

Jamin mentioned using the "IMPS/2" protocol, but that's for a roller-wheel-style mouse. "Microsoft" might be what you want if it's a serial mouse; if it's a PS/2-style connector, you'll probably want the "PS/2" protocol.

All this assumes you are NOT using gpm (the text-console mouse driver); if you are, you'll need to set gpm's repeat type to "raw" (run "gpmconfig") and set the device line in XF86Config to "/dev/gpmdata".