Mouse problem

I've used RH and Slackware since 1994, and would like to use Debian.  My
first net install of potato give me 4 days of fits with NFS, at which time
I did a reinstall with initialized partitions from scratch.

NFS looks like it starts OK this time but I haven't tried it yet because
this time around I have problems with X.  Everything works but the middle
button on a Logitech mouse which uses the M$ protocol.  Nothing I do in
XF86Setup helps.

When I exit X, I get a warning - /dev/mouse unable to get status of mouse
fd (invalid argument).

Any suggestions?

--
Sincerely,