dhcp-client strangeness

Hi,

I am currently running woody and am facing a problem while connecting to
my isp via dhcp.

I have the following lines in /etc/network/interfaces

  auto eth0
  iface eth0 inet dhcp

In /etc/modules.conf, I have

  alias eth0 8139too

But, when I do (or during boot up), /etc/init.d/networking start,
I get a message SIOC....: Network not reachable. In the beginning I
thought that the connection to my isp was a problem. But, I could
connect through windows. On a hunch, removed dhcp-client and tried pump
and udhcpc. Same problem. So, installed dhcpcd from potato and commented
out the above line interfaces. Everything works fine. What am I doing
wrong? Are there anythings that need to be set up, either in the kernel
or some conf file?

Regards,

--
Sridhar M.A.                                mas at uomphysics dot net

QED.