Re: Help installing packages (newbie but refusing to give up)

On 16-Apr-2002 GQ Kokidko wrote:
> I am a new user and have installed the base system of the stable debian
> linux on hdb1 and windows 2000 on hda1.  I can boot to linux and windows and
> have lilo configured properly but dselect and tasksel aren't able to find
> the packages (which are on hda1 in order to install them.  Tasksel cant see
> them at all (is there a config file or something I can point it too) and
> dselect can see them to tell me whats
> available.  After I go through the million and a half debian packages and
> choose what I want to install, when I go to install it either looks at a
> different location or doesn't find what it needs (even though I downloaded
> everything in the i386 binary directory and fails to install.  Thanks for
> any help

the tools do not blindly read all of the deb files in a directory and hand them
to you.  They require a Packages file which contains the already parsed package
info (name, size, description, depends, etc).  What you can do is create this
file.  dpkg-scanpackages will do it for you.  Note the file is expected to be
gzipped.