Re: Intermittent System Lockup (long)

On 17 Apr 2002, it was written:

> I'm hoping someone here might be able to give me a few pointers on how to
> track down a strange system lockup.
[snip]

(I don't want to post this to the list since it isn't very useful, but
your email address is invalid, so I've no choice).

The first question I would ask myself is whether this was a hardware or
software problem. Do you experience these problems with another operating
system? Eg Windows? If you bought a Dell it probably camne with Windows
installed on it. You might try another version of Linux (Mandrake, Redhat)
and see how it behaves, or even one of the BSD flavours, though this might
be more work.

You hardware looks pretty reasonable. Do your system logs say anything, eg
/var/log/messages? I would wonder a little about the sound drivers, but
that might be because I don't get along with ALSA :-) You say you're using
beta video drivers from Matrox. Have you tried using the regular XFree86
drivers and seeing how the system behaves?

The only system lockups I've seen have been due to ethernet drivers, but
as far as I know the 3com drivers are pretty well behaved.

                                                     Faheem.