Re: Swapfiles

begin  Oki DZ quotation:

> On a 128Mbytes machine, how much swap space can it handle? Would it be all
> right to assign it 384Mbytes?

Short answer: yes.

Long answer:

http://www.tldp.org/LDP/sag/swap-allocation.html

Of special interest would be this line:

"If your calculated swap space is very much larger than your physical
memory (more than a couple times larger), you should probably invest in
more physical memory, otherwise performance will be too low."

In other words, if you actually need 384MB of swap, you might need to
buy more RAM, depending on what you're doing.  I doubt you actually need
that much, though.

BTW, all of that being said, most of my boxes have either the same
amount of swap as physical RAM, or twice as much.  :-)

Production boxes, of course, are more carefully allocated.

--
Shawn McMahon                    | McMahon's Laws of Linux support:
http://www.eiv.com               | 1) There's more than one way to do it