Re: where to install openoffice

also sprach Brian W. Carver <brianwcarver@yahoo.com> [2002.04.13.2048 +0200]:
> http://www.pathname.com/fhs/2.2/fhs-3.12.html

thanks, i am actually part of the team i guess...

> You seem extremely committed on the one hand to following FHS to the letter,
> even going so far as to get mad at those who offer opinions rather than
> delivering pure unadulterated FHS rationale in their answers

simply because debian-* mailing lists tend to get voluminous on such
threads, at the same time losing focus and causing ridiculous
arguments. i am just tired of it, it wastes everyone's time!

> "there's something deep inside me speaking against /opt at the top
> of the filesystem hierarchy. i know it's a standard but i don't like
> it as i believe that these packages *should* really sit under
> /usr/local."
>
> Well, then THIS is what has caused your dilemma.  You either decide
> you like FHS so much that you'll do exactly what it says in this
> case (see above), or you decide that, as you say, "I don't like it"
> and you do what you prefer. You don't actually have an answerable
> question here, but rather a decision you have to make.

it's something that i am pushing for inclusion with the FHS. there
ought to be /usr/local/opt just for that. i don't (yet) have a /opt
partition, and when i reinstall debian (on a freshly-made filesystem),
/opt is gone. but i don't feel like reinstalling openoffice or vmware
or whatever. that's what /usr/local is for, period.

i am not saying that the FHS is perfect, it's *under constant
development*. i am saying that i don't see enough of a difference
between /opt and something in /usr/local to convince me to maintain
both.

> If your dislike for this has some rationale that you'd like to
> persuade the FHS folks of, then you should go to the mailing list
> for FHS at
> http://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/freestandards-fhs-discuss
> and persuade them to address your concerns in an upcoming version of
> FHS.

i have been on this mailing list for a while, and i have raised this
issue before.

> Sorry if this sounds pissy, but I feel you didn't ask an answerable
> question and then got mad at list members who were unable to do the
> impossible.  Let's all try to lighten up and realize we're talking
> about filesystem conventions here...

you have a point. i didn't really get mad. i has stated up front that
i wanted educated information, not "i think" or "imho" or "i guess" or
opinions. that's what the FHS mailinglist is for. i wanted to employ
debian-user as a resource of facts because i couldn't find the info
elsewhere. yet, i still got the "i think" reply. sorry, i didn't mean
to get snappy, but i do try to advocate: read the listmail, think,
think again, and think again before you post. too many folks just post
without even thinking and often the response doesn't even address the
question.

time wounds all heels.
                                                       -- groucho marx