Re: The Direction of Debian

On Fri, Apr 12, 2002 at 08:29:56PM -0400, Sean wrote:
| On Fri, 2002-04-12 at 19:58, Paul 'Baloo' Johnson wrote:
| >
| > > This is a vaild point, in my mind. Implementing a BSD-style ports
| > > structure would help to get around this in my mind.
| >
| > Explain this one?  I'm unfamiliar with ports.
|
| The BSD ports system is one where you download source instead of
| binaries. The Gentoo distribution has a similar system, with it's
| portage and emerge programs.

Thrash and bloat.  Well, I'm thinking of the 486sx router, dhcp server
and secondary MX I have with only 8MB RAM, 32MB swap and about
280MB disk space.  If I had to download the source too, and have a
compiler on-hand, and watch it thrash through _that_.  It already
thrashes plenty just reading the package lists.  (at least it doesn't
die with an mmap error like the rpm port of apt does on a machine with
96MB RAM!  apt is wholly useless on redhat because of that)

-D

--

Windows, hmmm, does it come with a GUI interface that works or just
pretty blue screens?