Re: OT: vm vs mutt (was Re: Someone tell me the secret of mutt)

Craig Duncan <duncan@nycap.rr.com> writes:

> David Turetsky writes:
>
>  > Mutt is great. Read enough of the handbook or info to get started, then
>  > add to your knowledge as situations require. I started using it a year
>  > or two ago and find it a real treat
>  >
>  > --
>  > David
>
> I just recently dumped Netscape mail in favor of vm (in emacs).  I'm a
> _long_ time emacs user and although i've heard a lot of good things
> about mutt, when i was trying to figure out what to replace Netscape
> mail with, i decided upon vm because i'd also heard good things about
> it and i could see a lot of benefits from reading my mail from within
> emacs where i have available all the editing capabilities that i've
> spent so many years mastering.
[snip]
> So, i'm wondering if anyone has any experience with mutt and vm on
> which to base a comparison.  My reticence in not trying mutt earlier
> is the idea that i have to then go _into_ an editor to do stuff that i
> frequently do (not only reply but also snip bits and pieces out for
> saving).  My editor is emacs.  I don't want to use anything else and i
> can't quite comprehend how mutt and emacs could integrate very well.

Instead of trying mutt, why not just try gnus?  I used mutt for a
while, but eventually switched to gnus because I found it much more
featureful.  I've never tried vm, but I'd assume gnus contains all the
functionality of vm plus a lot more.

--
Brian Nelson <nelson@bignachos.com>