Re: Dual Boot with Win2k

Not sure how useful this will be to you but have included an attachment of my
effort to get WIn2k and Linux dual booting. That was off different partitions
on the same disk though. There is a couple of howtos at the ldp (see
www.linux.org in the minihowtos section that might be a bit more useful.

On Fri, 12 Apr 2002 23:44, Matthew Daubenspeck wrote:
> Has anyone had any dual-boot experience with Windows 2000? I currently
> have linux on one drive and 2K on another, and am looking for a viable
> way of dual booting the two...
>
> Thanks!
This is a record of my attempt to install windows 2000 after installing Linux

Partitions are
	hda1 	prim	2300mb	fat 16
	hda2	prim	950mb	swap
	hda5	logi	3100mb 	linux	boot
	hda6	logi	3000mb	linux
	hda7	logi	11000mb	linux

I intend to use hda6 for /home and hda7 for /usr.
I had been having a problem on the previous installation of linux that I had on this
harddisk. I was getting on error message "hda: lost interrupt".
I thought this was initially due to a firewall script that I had installed as it was only
happening when I tried to log into gnome when I had used this script to set up my
iptable rules. I had been unable to find any problems by running bad block scans
on the disk so thought that I would take advantage of the excuse to redo my
partition tables and check the disk more thoroughly. I decided to put win2000 on as
I to be able to play around with networking windows with lin using samba on my
laptop.

I made tar archives of the directories in / and copied them over to my laptop. Then I
put a debian potato disk in and began the installation process. Using cfdisk I
partitioned the disk as noted above.

The reason why I began with linux was that I wanted lilo to be the boot loader as
having used the win2k bootloader in my previous dual boot arrangement I was not
happy with the way it defaulted in booting into windows. I couldn't seem to change
this even through playing with boot.ini. I therefore decided to follow the instructions
given in Linux+WindowsNT minihowto at www.linux.org for installing linux first
followed by windows NT.

I continued with the debian installation process and installed the minimum
installation of debian. I then copied the mbr to a floppy using the
	dd if=/dev/hda of=/dev/fd0 bs=512 count=1

I then put the windows 2000 disk in the cdrom drive and rebooted. The installation
began and I chose to install it on /dev/hda1. According to the Linux+WindowsNT
minihowto it is supposed to reboot at some stage through the install to lilo.
It didn't.

I continued on with the Win2k install and then logged into it when it had completed
and made windows bootdisks. I then rebooted to linux using the debian bootdisk
that I had made during the linux install. The next step was to edit lilo.conf and add
an entry to Win2k.
	other=/dev/hda1
	label=Win2k
Save lilo.conf and then run the lilo command: /sbin/lilo
That then recopys lilo to the mbr as the initial copy was wiped by the win2k install.
Lilo does not however delete the Win2k boot record so to boot to Win2k simply
interrupt lilo as it is booting and chose Win2k and it will boot into Windows2000.