Re: Potato vs. Woody

On Thu, Apr 11, 2002 at 05:51:55PM -0500, Rich Puhek wrote:
> Alan Poulton wrote:
> > I was wondering.. should I be sticking with Potato or switch to Woody?
> >
> (snip)
> > If I upgrade to Woody, how do I do it? Would I just edit
> > /etc/apt/sources.list, replace all "stable" with "woody", then apt-get
> > update; apt-get upgrade ?
> > A friend of mine, who knows way more about Debian and Linux than I do,
> > told me that when she upgraded to Woody some time ago, there were many
> > security holes in her system. Do I need to worry about this still?
[...]
> Security holes shouldn't be an issue... you're dealing with the newest
> software. What issues did your friend have?

Actually, security holes are a known issue with testing, because it
takes a little while for packages to propagate from unstable to testing.
At the moment, nobody's volunteered to manage a security update
repository for testing, so the only remedy at the moment is for the
administrator to be careful.

This won't be an issue for the release, since part of the way testing is
managed includes automatically tracking release-critical bugs open
against the version in testing. At worst any packages with open security
holes will have to be removed before release.