Re: The latest round of antivirus bouncebacks

begin  Gary Turner quotation:

> It has been  referenced, but neither discussed nor described.  This is
> the first definition of what it is that I've seen.  All I've known is
> that looking at it raw, it is not text that I can read, so out it goes.

Also, it's complicated by the fact that Microsoft registered the
MIME-type application/vnd.ms-tnef, and then promptly implemented it as
application/ms-tnef.

I say pitch it.  At least one list I've been on has stripped those
attachments, and auto-bounced messages with that Content-Type.  Nobody
bitched; at least, if they did, we didn't see it.  :-)

There are a number of folks claiming it's vcard-type information only.
This isn't always true, it can come up for more than just that.
Microsoft documents it as including drag-and-dropped documents from
MAPI-aware applications, and there's no telling what they haven't
documented.

Bottom line is, it doesn't belong on a Linux support list.  Attachments
that accomplish something potentially useful and do so in a standard
manner accessible cross-platform are one thing; attachments that render
messages unreadable on Linux clearly don't belong here, any more than
attachments that render messages unreadable on Windows would belong in a
Windows support list.

--
Shawn McMahon                    | Information may want to be free, but fiber
http://www.eiv.com               | optic cable wants to be one million US