Re: Woody: Apache SSL not starting

Hi!

On Wed, 10 Apr 2002, Tom Cook wrote:

> [...]
> access it).  The only thing which seems likely is apache.

I tried very hard, but suddenly https works. What doesn't work with
apache-ssl is "http://localhost/";, though. But this may be a bug which has
already been reported.

> [...]
> then that means that apache-ssl now 'owns' the https port.  So try
> accessing some https content:  point your browser at
> https://localhost/ and see what happens.

That works with apache-ssl.

> I feel a bit bad about pointing this out when you had a working
> system, as it seems to have made you keen and *uninstalled a working
> system* (something you wouldn't catch me doing).  Sorry.

No need to apologize. I had a working system, but it contained only Debian
documentation (the "/var/www/..." stuff). Debian's pre/postrm scripts for
both apache and apache-ssl are smart enough *not* to delete it, so I
didn't lose anything... I think that behavior applies to the entire
"/var/www" hierarchy, so if you install your stuff below that directory
you should never lose it by installing/uninstalling various apache-related
packages.

Debian just rocks! (A few others may already have mentioned this, but it
can not be stated often enough).

Again thanks for giving me such detailed instructions!

Greetings,

	Holger