Re: Home Networking

On Thu, 2002-04-11 at 12:32, Jon Eisenstein wrote:
> I'm trying to set up my Debian machine as a gateway to the outside network,
> with (for now) one windows machine going through it via a hub (Linksys
> router). I've followed instructions for both Debian and Redhat to set it up,
> but after I followed all the instructions, restart networking on Linux and
> restart the machine on windows (both with dhcp and assigned address), I get
> no ping from windows to the linux IP. Is there somebody who can help me out
> with this, to find out where my problem is? I'll send files or whatever
> other information there is, just name it if you can help. I want to make it
> clear that I tried for a few days with no success, and am now making a plea
> to the Debian community.

Lets start with the static addressing. What IP/Netmasks did you use?
What did you set the gateway as? What is the topology? Debian <-->
linksys hub <--> windows. What is on the other side of the debian box? A
modem? Another ethernet? Give as much info as you can and you'll have so
much help you wont know which way to turn ;)

If its just the windows <-> debian setup. Try the following

debian (edit /etc/network/interfaces, then go 'ifdown -a; ifup -a' )
IP: 10.0.0.1
Netmask: 255.255.255.0
Network: 10.0.0.0
Broadcast: 10.0.0.255

windows:
IP: 10.0.0.2
Netmask: 255.255.255.0
Broadcast: 10.0.0.255
Gateway: 10.0.0.1

Make sure all link lights are on on the hub. All cat 5 is good. Then
ping. from both machines. Any luck?

Kind Regards
Crispin Wellington