Re: optimization of fetchmail

begin  Luca Pasquali  quotation:

> I've a doubt about my fethmailrc, if I've to poll down several accounts from
> the same pop-server is better to put in the fetchmailrc many polls as the
> accounts are or one poll with a user list i.e.:
>
> is better to do
>
> poll pop.server.boh protocol pop3
> user foo password "foo" is joe here;
>
> poll pop.server.boh protocol pop3
> user foo2 password "foo" is joe2 here;
>
> or like this:
>
> poll pop.server.boh protocol pop3
> user foo password "foo" is joe here;
> user foo2 password "foo" is joe2 here;
>
> which of this solutions works better in a mailserver that polls a hundred
> external mboxes?

I doubt it makes any difference; I don't think the pop3 protocol
provides for switching from one user to another without establishing a
new connection. I would tend to prefer the second form (two users under
a single poll entry in .fetchmailrc) just because it's less typing and
easier to read (it's more clear that these two users are on the same
server).

The obvious test would be to install tcpspy and see what actually happens
when fetchmail runs. What I've observed is that a new connection is made
for each user entry.

The main thing that would make a difference if you have fetchmailrc
supporting many users is to run a single system-wide fetchmail daemon
rather than running it from cron jobs.

Craig