FW: Re: gnome-utils won't install on update

On Wed, Apr 10, 2002 at 07:07:26AM +0530, Sridhar M.A. wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 09, 2002 at 02:49:31PM -0400, stan wrote:
>    > I trued to update my woody box yesterday, and ran inot a small problem with
>    > the gnome-utils package. I fugured it was a intermitent thing, so I waited
>    > till today, and trued agaain, still no luck.
>    >
>    > Here's what I'm geting:
>    >
>    > Do you want to continue? [Y/n]
>    > Setting up gnome-utils (1.4.1.2-3) ...
>    > /usr/bin/scrollkeeper-update: relocation error:
>    > /usr/lib/libscrollkeeper.so.0: undefined symbol: xmlLoadExtDtdDefaultValue
>    > dpkg: error processing gnome-utils (--configure):
>    > subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 127
>    > Errors were encountered while processing:
>    > gnome-utils
>    > E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
>    >
>    > What can I do to fix this? And does this mean that I should not try to
>    > update my other machines?
>    >
> I vaguely remember of having faced this problem. What I did was install
> the new version of scrollkeeper using dpkg -i and then installed
> libscrollkeeper. That solved the problem. Maybe it is a bug as apt-get
> is supposed to handle such dependencies.

I'm not certain what you are recomending here.

I'm doing this through dselect.

I tried:

smokey:~# dpkg -i scrollkeeper
dpkg: error processing scrollkeeper (--install):
 cannot access archive: No such file or directory
  scrollkeeper

So, clearly I'm not understanding what you are sugesting hrere.

Thanks for any advice, and should I avoid trying to upgrade other machines
untill this is resolved? Curently I have only hosed up one f them.

neither liberty nor safety."
						-- Benjamin Franklin