How does 'compact' do it?

When I came into possession of a Micron dual PPro with a Symbios scsi
adapter and new scsi drive, I grabbed the "compact" flavor of 2.2r6
and easily installed Debian over a cable 'net connection. The compact
kernel boots nicely with LILO on /dev/sda; the only tweaking needed
was adding an append in lilo.conf: append="sym53c8xx=mpar:n"

Problem: I cannot build a kernel that will boot from the hard drive! I
am using the 2.2.19 source, and every custom kernel I have built fails
the same way; the boot dies - grinds to a halt - with no error
messages as soon as the "Ok, now booting the kernel" message appears.

These kernels _can_ boot from floppy if you make a boot floppy when
make-kpkg prompts you as to whether or not you want one. Hence the
Subject: line "How does compact do it?" i.e. how does the compact
kernel manage to boot off the hard drive when all of my custom ones,
even those that consist for the most part of compact's .config itself,
fail.

I'm getting ready to go the initrd route, but that shouldn't be
necessary, should it?

--
Eric d'Alibut

     I am not a looney! Why should I be attired with the epithet
	 looney merely because I have a pet halibut? I've heard tell that
	 Marcel Proust had an addock! So, if you're calling the author of
	 'A la recherche du temps perdu' a looney, I shall have to ask you
	 to step outside!