Re: debian hangs cpu 100 percent

    "Quenten" == Quenten Griffith <qgriffith@edm1.com> writes:

    Quenten> Well I finally got a "good" Debian install or at least a
    Quenten> compelete one anyways and everything is working fine
    Quenten> (only took three times trying to install it lol) But for
    Quenten> some reason when I do anything such as untar a large
    Quenten> archive or even ftp to my computer a bunch of files my
    Quenten> cpu jumps to 100 percent or around that.  I have a 733mhz
    Quenten> PC I have had up to 512megs of memory in it at times
    Quenten> trying to figure this out.  It started with the 2.2
    Quenten> kernel so I compiled the 2.4-18 kernel and am using that

You probably need to turn on DMA for the hard drives. Some thing like
'hdparm -d1 /dev/hda' should help. Basically read 'man hdparm'. The
things you want are to ensure that DMA is on (-d flag), multcount is
set right (-m) and I/O support is 32 bits if you have relatively new
hardware (which it sounds like you do).

Cheers!
Shyamal