Re: Alt as Meta Key in Emacs21 and XFree 4.1.0.1

This will swap your left windows and alt keys, so you can use Alt for
Meta and (in wmaker and probably other window managers) the windows
key to switch windows.

1. Use xkeycaps to rearrange the keyboard how you'd like, and save the
   modifications in a file such as ~/.xmodmap.  Mine looks like this:

	remove Mod1 = Alt_L
	remove Mod4 = Meta_L

	keycode 0x73 =  Alt_L
	keycode 0x40 =  Meta_L

	add Mod1 = Alt_L Alt_L
	add Mod4 = Meta_L

2. Put this in your .xsession file:

	xmodmap ~/.xmodmap

Of course there are probably a dozen other ways to do the same
thing; this works for me.

--
Pete Harlan
pete@artselect.com