Re: DNS questions

"Ricardo Fitzgerald" <axis@movinet.com.uy> writes:

Hi Ricardo,

> Hi,
>
> I'm fairly new to DNS bind, and such and I'm having troubles
> configuring a nameserver and the zones.
> ok, here is what I have a network of 5 machines Windoze crap mix and a
> Linux gateway with a static ip, the internal machines have normal
> 192.168.0.x addresses and the Linux gw has 2 ip one is 192.168.0.1 to
> the internal network, and the other 200.61.76.88 (is the static) is to
> the internet, and is connected to a router with address 200.61.76.65
> which belongs to the ISP.

> How many zones do I need?  I mean I did 127.0.0, 192.168.0,
> 200.61.76.88 and the domain.com, but I'm not sure if I had to do
> 200.61.76 instead of 200.61.76.88, and in if I have to include the
> router's address somewhere.

If you have your own domain on the internet then you'd need one for
your static IP address. That is, if you registered some domain name
(e.g. ricardofitzgerald.com) and pointed it's authorative name server
to 200.61.76.88, then you'd need:

1) One for your internet domain (e.g. ricardofitzgerald.com)
2) One for your intarnet (domain.com)
3) One for localhost (this is probably optional)

OTOH, if you just have a static IP address then you'd just need a DNS
server for your intranet (behind the firewall), you'd just want (2)
and (3) above. Some other DNS server (possibly your ISP) is dealing
with your internet IP address (200.61.76.88) naming.

*BUT* if you have an internet DNS server you'd probably want it on the
otherside of the firewall so clients "out-there" can look up your
addresses.

INTERNET <----> DNS SERVER                   ->Intranet DNS Server (ns.domain.com)
             \                              /
              ->FIREWALL ----> INTRANET --->-->Windows Machines
                                           \
                                            -->Printer

> If I'm going to make CNAME for www, mail, ftp, etc, do I have to use
> 192.168.0.1 or the other ? In the case of www looks clear I have to
> do it, but for the others I'm confused, not so sure.

It's up to you, really. Most organizations that I'm aware of have pet
names for their servers. For example, "hank" for the WWW Server. So
that other people will know hank is the WWW server you'd create a
CNAME from www to hank. The others are just up to you but most
organizations like to use standardized names for the services.

If your POP server and SMTP server are the same machine, say "alice",
then you could CNAME pop and smtp to alice.domain.com. Same with ftp,
etc - it's just a convenient way to find the server implimenting a
certain protocol (www for http, ftp for ftp, pop for pop3, etc).

> My linux gw is called Deb, it has 2 eth ports, can I use
> deb.domain,com with both ip addresses , 192.168.0.1 and 200.61.76.88
> ?

If your DNS server is on the intranet then generally, no (but you
could). If you'd like to re-map what the intranet users see of such
and such a domain, you could impliment that domain in your DNS
server. For example, you could put into your (intranet) DNS server the
domain "yahoo.com" for some weird reason. If the hosts on your
intranet look for yahoo.com, your DNS server sees that it's the
nameserver for yahoo.com and sends IP addresses back to the hosts
telling them yahoo.com is in Darrel's office down the hall.

> I've already configured it following the DNS-Howto but it's not
> working properly.
>
> Thanks, and have a nice day.

You too! BTW, I found DNS a little confusing at first but, like most
anything, the more you practice with it the better you'll be with it.

Elizabeth