upgrade problems with install-info hangups

Does everyone who upgrades have snags with install-info?  I received an email when I posted a similar inquiry some months ago, that someone had never had such a problem.  But especially when I am doing an update/upgrade after a long interval, with, say 200MB of files (sid), over several years I have had problems requiring hand editing of prerm and postinst files, to upgrade multiple packages.  This can take hours.

I usually just comment out or delete lines for install-info.  Does this lead to more problems later on?  What can I do to eliminate this problem?

Can someone lend a clue?

Alan Davis

--
Alan E. Davis, Science Instructor
Marianas High School

"An inviscid theory of flow renders the screw useless, but the need
for one non-existent."
             ---Lord Raleigh(aka John William Strutt),or else
                 his son, Jr., who was also a scientist.