Re: 2 distros

Lo, on Monday, April 8, j y did write:

[reformatted for 70 columns]

> Hi I'm using Suse 7.3 right now and I want to put debian on my hard
> drive. Is there an easy way to do this. I'm into easy if
> possible. thanks

I'm assuming you want to install the two distributions in parallel,
right?

It's certainly possible to have multiple distributions installed on the
same machine; I did this when I transitioned from RedHat to Debian about
18 months ago, and I'm doing it now as I'm transitioning from stable to
testing.

How easy this is depends on how your disk is currently partitioned.

The basic process:

1) Create a boot floppy that lets you get into your current Suse
   install.  You may not need this, but it's a good idea to have one
   around.

2) Adjust your partitioning scheme so that you've got room for Debian
   (see the installation guide as well as
   <http://home.netcom.com/~kmself/Linux/FAQs/partition.html> for
   suggestions on partition sizes and disk requirements.)  Other than
   possibly having to resize them, you'll leave your existing Suse
   partitions alone.

3) Install Debian on the new partitions.  There are some issues with
   uids and so forth, but you may be able to share your /home partition
   between distributions.  (This assumes you have a separate partition
   for /home, of course.)

   During the installation, you'll have the option to mount existing
   Linux partitions; you'll probably want to mount your Suse stuff at
   this point.  Use mount points like /suse, /suse/usr, and so forth.

4) Boot into debian using the boot loader installed during step 3.  Edit
   /etc/lilo.conf (or whatever boot loader config file you use) to
   provide choices for your Suse kernels as well as the Debian ones,
   reinstall the boot loader, and reboot.

HTH,

Richard