Re: Chrooted Debian install from base image (was Re: Instalation question: Toshiba TECRA 8000)

On Sun, Apr 07, 2002 at 06:25:14PM -0700, Karsten M. Self wrote:
> on Sun, Apr 07, 2002, Carel Fellinger (cfelling@iae.nl) wrote:
> > On Sat, Apr 06, 2002 at 08:52:50PM -0800, Karsten M. Self wrote:
> > Not sure what you're at here, but if it's just module configuration
> > why not hint at modconf?
>
> Hmm...'coz I've never used it?
>
> The bits of module configuration I'd like to get at:
>
>   - Identifying what modules you need.  Typically:  controllers,
>     filesystems, networking, etc.

tricky, but lacking in many other places.

>   - Making sure the modules are included with your kernel.  My
>     understanding is that most Debian kernel images are fairly kitchen
>     sink, so the problem is minimized here.  Rolling your own is a
>     different story.

Refer to make-kpkg.

>   - Getting the modules loaded at boot or when needed for a device /
>     function.  This part, frankly, I don't understand particularly well,
>     though I manage to limp along by throwing lines into /etc/modules.

This is the part modconf is used for, so have a look at it:)

> > It would be nice if you could mention some of the other aproaches,
> > like netinstall and give a link to the iso.
>
> This assumes I'm providing general advice.  I'm not.  I'm talking about
> chroot installs, and refer to the primary documentation for other
> options.  TMTOWTDI

Fair enough, I just thought that netinstall is so similar it might
deserve to be mentioned.

> I use '$ ' as my root prompt ;-).  IIRC, both TRB and LNX-BBC use '$ '
> for their prompt.  '# ' reads too much like a comment to my mind, '$ '
> indicates a shell prompt.

Yep, problematic. It's just that I'm so used to `# ' as root prompt:)

> I use control directives to display the userid in reverse video when
> root, which I find more distinctive than a prompt mod:

I use red, so I see your point:)

> > Is this in accordance with FSH (or what ever the beast is named).  I
> > remember some discussions a while ago, but missed the final verdict.
>
> This is in accordance with the procedures I describe.  /mnt/floppy is
> used on the  boot system, not the chroot image.  Though I prefer /mnt
> for floppy, cdrom, and other removeable media mount points.

I was referring to the use of sub dirs of mount and the proposal to use
\media instead.

> > >     $ chroot . bin/bash
> >
> > One thing I always wondered how to deal with was with preventing
> > daemons to start / stop in the chrooted woody, especially as this
> > automatically happens when you install a new (version) `daemon'
> > packet.  Initially debootstrap uses a trick to prevent daemons from
> > really being started.  Might be worth explaining the trick and how it
> > can be used later on.
>
> TRB doesn't run daemons ;-)
>
> LNX-BBC runs a minimal set (sshd, if activated).

So those two bootstrap environments work more or less, but it would be
nice if this howto would cather for a debian bootstrap environment
(think potato) as well.  So a few words on it wouldn't harm.

> > If you go the debootstrap path, you need to install a kernel package
> > first.
>
> Um...I thought I did that already...or did I?  Yes, in the paragraph
> above, though the process is elided.  Or am I missing something.

No, *I* was missing something:)
But in retrospect it might be better to refrase it as

   You probably want a Linux kernel and a bootloader.

is an understatement I didn't expect in an American text.

> Point being:
>
>    $ dpkg --get-selections < file
>    $ apt-get update
>    $ apt-get dist-upgrade
>
> ...didn't work as expected.  Still looking for input.

Look at Colin's response, or did you miss his?

> Peace.

and Love.

--
groetjes, carel